Saturday, May 29, 2010

Is Ignorance Bliss?

Dear Classmates,

I am really into getting educated, understanding different cultures, and growing as an individual. However, some people around me come from cultures and families that have strict constructed views (with no real educational basis). They just follow the script their parents did with minor changes. I, on the other hand, always try to weigh the value of these "values" and criticisms. I try to adopt a new way, a better way, a better system. But sometimes it is too hard to reinvent the wheel. Sometimes, it hurts to know a lot. I often wonder if these people who are ignorant and don't think of what they are told, are better off. Are you like that? Do you just believe in what people around you do? Do you follow those traditions or do you question them? Do yo sometimes feel your brain hurting because of what people have made up based on no evidence? I mean does anyone have a right to make generalizations about any group of people? and the questions keep circling!

3 comments:

  1. In response to the title, I would absolutely, yes.

    Most people don't want to know about a lot of what's around them, we are too ingrained in a visually stimulating, superficial society.

    We don't want to think about, for example, that our sneakers and sweaters come from a factory across the world where the workers are grossly mistreated, underpaid and routinely abused, in a constant state of suffering.

    Or the idea that male baby chicks, because they can't provide eggs, are tossed into a giant garbage bag and suffocated or crushed. I was reluctant to watch what it takes to put meat into markets and restaurants, but I finally did and I don't regret it.

    It's not entirely fair though, seeing as how a lot of what happens is swept under a rug and big business does not want us to see or know that stuff. After all, would anyone buy a banana republic or gap sweater after knowing that it was made from a worker in Saipan who was forced to have an abortion because having a baby would reduce her productivity? Would anyone buy a pack of gum knowing that aspartame has a strong chance of causing brain tumors/cancer in monkeys?

    People are so far in the wrong direction it's absurd. Not only do people not want to know the truth, we will go out of our way to avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I guess sometimes if you don't know the truth, it does not exist in your mind. sad..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's about choice. Choice is what makes us US. Some societies limit choice, and people are like robots. What they don't know, they may not question.
    The more we know, the more we question. The more we question, the more we discover.
    This is LIFE. We have so many choices to make, every day, every day.
    If we live in ignorance unknowingly, or choose to live in ignorance.... we still have some degree of choice: to live or die.
    That is the human predicament.
    We balance the best we can ---- with joy and pain, and all the consequences that result.

    ReplyDelete